Senior citizen dies in house fire

Abhinesh Chand at his aunt's home which was destroyed in a fire. Picture: REINAL CHAND

A close-knit community in Varadoli, Ba, is still reeling from shock after losing a loved one in a house fire early yesterday morning.

Dhan Raji, 83, died trapped inside the burning house.

According to a relative, Abhinesh Chand, Raji and her daughter, Madhu Lata, 53, lived in the house.

“The alarm was raised in between 3.30 am to 4am when my aunt Madhu rushed out from her burning house and informed us that her mother was still trapped inside the house,” he said.

Mr Chand said the flames were too strong for them to go inside.

“It is a very sad day for us and we are still coming to terms with the loss.

“My aunt also sustained burns from the house fire and is currently admitted at the Lautoka Hospital.”

Police confirmed the death and said investigations were continuing.

More Stories