No stone will be left unturned, says Waqainabete
14 June, 2019, 11:20 am
WE are going to leave no stone unturned.
This was the word from Health and Medical Services Minister Dr Ifereimi Waqainabete in response to a request for information on the progress of investigations into the “mysterious” death of American couple David and Michelle Paul last month in Nadi.
“We are working collaboratively with United States authorities and the US Embassy in Fiji, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and World Health Organization,” he said.
“Our team has been in the West for the past few weeks, we are going to leave no stone unturned, we have gone through very thorough processes around protecting public health, it’s a very specialised field, our doctors have done Masters-level training in this regard overseas.”
Dr Waqainabete said Fijians and those travelling into the country should be reassured by the fact that no travel advisories have been issued, restricting or limiting travel into Fiji. “We know that the health of Fijians in Nadi and Nausori have been protected, there are no restrictions on travel.
“Other stakeholders have come to the party and also supported that information.”
He said out of respect to the victims’ families, once conclusive results of tests from the CDC were received, the information would be shared to immediate family members first.
David and Michelle Paul died last month after allegedly succumbing to the effects of a “mysterious” virus.
The couple from Fort Worth, Texas arrived in the country on May 22.
Michelle, 35, died on May 25, and David, 38, died two days later on May 27.