Labasa military officers remember victims of Delainabua mutiny

Soldiers salute during the remembrance day parade at Sukanaivalu Barracks. Picture: LUKE RAWALAI

SILENCE was felt through Sukanaivalu Barracks today as the lone sound of a bugle was heard as soldiers remembered the lives of their three comrades who were killed during the Delainabua mutiny back in 2000.

More than 500 soldiers with the Republic of Fiji Military Forces, including chief of staff Brigadier General Jone Kalouniwai, also acknowledged the dedication of 10 other soldiers for bravery, and those who sustained injuries as a result of the mutiny.

Speaking of the lives of the fallen soldiers during a roll call, Chief Officer, Golf Company, Sukanaivalu Barracks Captain Samuela Cikaitoga said that since November 2, they had been remembering their fallen comrades.

“At approximately 1pm on the 2nd of November 2000, the rebel soldiers and members of the disbanded Counter Revolutionary Warfare unit opened fire and took the Queen Elizabeth Barracks by storm as they tried to gain control of the armories and execute the then-commander and now Prime Minister Voreqe Bainimarama,” he said.

Three soldiers were also acknowledged for bravery, four for safely evacuating then-commander Voreqe Bainimarama and three for sustaining injuries during the attempted takeover.

More Stories