Investigations into outbreak continues
12 November, 2019, 9:01 am
INVESTIGATIONS are ongoing into any potential exposures the current measles patients may have had to international travellers.
This was confirmed by head of health protection at the Ministry of Health and Medical Services Dr Aalisha Sahukhan, who also revealed that all cases of measles reported so far were linked.
The ministry declared a measles outbreak in the Serua/Namosi subdivision last Thursday after two confirmed cases and two suspected cases of measles were reported at Wailali Settlement in Wainadoi.
“At this point the Serua/Namosi subdivisional outbreak response team are working hard to control the outbreak within their subdivision.
And they have the full support of the rest of the Ministry of Health and Medical Services,” Dr Sahukhan said in a statement.
The ministry confirmed that the Serua/Namosi subdivisional outbreak response team (SORT) has activated the emergency operations centre (EOC) at Navua Hospital and had also established triage and isolation areas for any potential suspected cases of measles.
“All suspected cases are being managed according to guidance issued by the Ministry of Health and Medical Services,” the ministry said.
The ministry also confirmed that teams had been deployed daily to vaccinate anyone aged six months and over in the outbreak areas.