From the Editor-in-Chief’s desk: Your June 5 briefing
5 June, 2023, 8:53 am
POLITICIANS must stop abusing media freedom to spread misinformation targeted at other political leaders, says National Federation Party vice-president Parmod Chand. That’s the big one on the front page of The Fiji Times for Monday, June 5.
The second report is about a $30,000 gown which was used to close Fiji Fashion Week 2023 at the Vodafone Arena in Laucala Bay, Suva on Saturday. The Spirit of Ecstasy is a couture gown designed by Sydney-based Australian designer Daniel Avakian in a collaboration with Rolls Royce for their clients in 2021.
Here are some headlines inside:
Pages 4 and 5
- THERE will be an increase in social welfare assistance. Acting Prime Minister and Finance Minister Professor Biman Prasad revealed this during a national budget consultation at Veisaru Sanatan Dharam School in Ba.
- THE National Farmers Union says the cane price should be increased to $110 per tonne. President Surendra Lal said the rise was necessary as the cost of cane farming has increased.
- THERE is no accountability towards sugarcane farmers, says newly appointed Fiji Sugar Corporation board member Paras Ram at a budget consultation in Tavua.
- A resident of an informal settlement in Narere is calling on Government to seriously consider the struggles faced by low-income families when putting together the national budget.
- IN the lead up to the 2023-2024 National Budget this month many Fijians are asking if the cost of basic food items could be reduced. Torika Ravusuvusu of Wailea settlement in Vatuwaqa said the cost of food items would sometimes cause a stressful scenario on her household.
- PAST budget allocations set aside for development in Seaqaqa was only “talk” and nothing was done to fix infrastructures.
Get a copy of The Fiji Times at home from Monday to Saturday, and a copy of The Sunday Times!
No hassles, no worries!
There’s something about feeling the newspaper in your hands, fresh off the press!
We can make that happen for you! We can organise the delivery of your very own copy daily, and it will be there when you wake up to start your day.
And all you have to do is call our Circulation Department for subscription rates.
Our phone numbers are: 3304111 and you can ask for Setaita, Jervis, Anthony, Gaytree or Ropate.
They may just have a rate that suits your budget!
Prefer to read the newspaper online? Then subscribe to the e-edition! There are simple instructions to follow to get to the daily edition!
Log onto www.fijitimes.com
You can follow us on www.fijitimes.com for the latest updates and videos from around the country.
Follow The Lens@177 on the Fiji Times Facebook page and on the Fiji Times Youtube channel! Check out the latest video! Felix Chaudhary spoke to the Rural and Maritime Development Minister Sakiasi Ditoka this week. We also have a documentary on our trip to the GCC on Bau Island. Follow us on that journey!
Follow TimesSport, our special sports program on the Fiji Times Facebook page and on the Fiji Times Youtube channel! Check out the latest videos! Senior Reporter Rohit Deo spoke to the Drua, and there’s one on the build up to the big boxing match between Winston Hill and Jese Ravudi! Tell us what you think!