Fire leaves family of 12 homeless
8 March, 2019, 8:12 am
A FAMILY of 12 is now homeless after their six-bedroom house was destroyed in a fire in Narere, Nasinu yesterday.
House owner Matia Mailekai, 66, said the incident happened around 11am.
“The building consists of three flats with a total of six bedrooms. The fire started in one of the rooms in one of the flats,” he claimed.
“We started to smell smoke and it was getting hot in the house, that’s when we started evacuating the house with my three grandchildren.”
“The cost of damage is estimated to be around $160,000 and now we have to start from scratch because all our belongings were destroyed in the fire.”
Mr Mailekai was thankful that none of his family members was injured or any lives lost during the unfortunate event.
“Now we will try to resort to any assistance available to help us rebuild our lives,” he said.
Police spokesperson Ana Naisoro confirmed there was no casualty.