COVID-19 cases up by five

Dr James Fong. Picture: SUPPLIED

The total COVID-19 case in Fiji now stands at eight, acting permanent secretary for Ministry of Health and Medical Services Dr James Fong confirmed during a press conference yesterday.

He said the five new cases were Fijian passengers on board the repatriated flight from India that landed in Nadi on July 1.

The first three cases on board the same flight were announced on July 6. The new cases involve three males and two females.

“One is the husband of a border quarantine case announced earlier this week,” Dr Fong said.

“Four of the cases have no symptoms, and one has mild symptoms. All have been securely transferred to the Nadi or Lautoka hospital isolation facilities.

He said the passengers were kept under strict border quarantine conditions from the moment they arrived in Fiji.

He said they were supervised by RFMF personnel and screened daily by staff from the Health Ministry in government designated quarantine facilities.

“I will again re-emphasise here: so long as our border quarantine and infection prevention control protocols are upheld there is no risk to the Fijian public from these latest border quarantine cases.

“The protocols to prevent transmission between the latest border quarantine cases and the support staff in the quarantine facilities have been upheld – there has been no breach.

Fiji has now recorded 26 cases of COVID-19 since it recorded its first case on March 19.

More Stories