‘Cases not seriously ill’
28 May, 2020, 11:15 pm
None of Fiji’s COVID-19 cases were severely ill or required Intensive Care Unit level care, Health Minister Dr Ifereimi Waqainabete told Parliament yesterday while delivering an update on the pandemic.
Dr Waqainabete also confirmed that there were three active COVID-19 cases and all the patients were in stable condition at the Navua Hospital.
“None of Fiji’s cases have had severe illness and none have required Intensive Care Unit level care and it wasn’t by fluke,” he said.
“It was by dedicated group of personnel and also the resources that were given to them by Government to do the work that needs to be done.”
Dr Waqainabete said this highly infectious disease required stringent measures.
“To date we have monitored over 5840 individuals in various forms of quarantine and isolation and achieved 92 per cent surveillance compliance from all our quarantine individuals as reported by our health teams and through our own Ministry of Health contact tracing.
“We are testing in and outside and that is beyond the World Health Organization criteria.”
He said Fiji’s first COVID-19 case was recorded on March 19 and the last case was on April 20.
Dr Waqainabete said no COVID-19 cases had been recorded in Fiji since then.