Nabou accident survivor refutes ‘wild’ comments on accident

The Minivan which was involved in an accident at Nabou, Sigatoka. Picture: BALJEET SINGH

A DRIVER involved in the Nabou vehicle crash last Saturday, causing seven deaths, is calling on people to stop speculating on social media.

Daven Sharma said he was clear on what events had occurred as he had been involved.

“There was no vehicle overtaking another, there was no speeding by the minibus and the only vehicle that was not where it was supposed to be was the Grace Road truck,” he said.

“I was travelling at 60kmph when the accident happened. When the Grace Road truck hit me, my speedometer was locked at 60.

“The minibus in front would have been travelling at 65kmph, I can verify that because I was two car-lengths behind it.”

Police issued a statement last Saturday that the Grace Road truck had veered off its track and gone into the oncoming lane.

Mr Sharma was traveling from Nadi to Sigatoka with his wife, Anjila, when the accident happened.

“I heard on the radio and heard about comments being made on Facebook where people were making up all kinds of wild stories.

“They were not there, they didn’t see what happened.

“I was travelling behind the minibus, going from Nadi to Sigatoka and the Grace Road truck was heading towards Nadi when it suddenly came into our lane.

“From what I saw, it appeared that that minibus driver turned to try and avoid hitting the truck.

“The truck hit the van almost head-on but more towards the passenger side then it scraped the passenger side of the van – that’s when the people sitting inside fell out.

“It happened so fast and before I could react, the back of the truck hit my vehicle before coming to a stop.”

Six young men including a 16-year-old student, were killed in the accident. A seventh victim, Josevata Saukuru, 23, from Sikituru Village, died yesterday morning at the Lautoka Hospital.